Fitchburg City Hall Campus
Fitchburg City Hall was built in 1853. The two-story Italianate design featured brick walls on a granite foundation with brick pilasters, brownstone details, granite lintels, and a slate roof. The building had offices on the first floor and a large public meeting room with a balcony on the second floor. In 1879, a stage house was added to the rear of the building. During the first half of the 20th century, the building underwent numerous incremental changes, particularly the 1879 addition. This part of the building ultimately became 4 stories with the addition of dormers.
City Hall is considered a local historic landmark within the community, listed in the Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System within the “Downtown Architecture of H.M. Francis, Fitchburg, MA”, and recommended for listing in the National Register of Historical Places on the Massachusetts Historical Commission Inventory Form.
Today, the exterior is being restored and the interior is being wholly redesigned to accommodate fourteen administrative departments including the Office of the Mayor. An adjacent building (formerly a bank), is being converted into a legislative building, housing the City Council Chambers. The goal of the renovation is to create a modern and efficient workplace for city administrators to better serve Fitchburg residents.