Architectural Space Programming
Programming academic buildings to support contemporary teaching and learning practices is central to the Education Studio’s design services. We guide administrators and campus stakeholders to create building programs that are unique to each institution. Our experience includes a broad range of types from contemporary learning spaces to labs to complex hybrid programs. As part of our academic programming services, the Education Studio specializes in programming academic libraries for the 21st century. We begin with three fundamental suggestions:
- Consider a broad-based process of community engagement that invites expansive ideation and continuous iteration culminating in the clear definition of programs and their dynamic interrelationships.
- Integrate library services with academic methods and practices that reflect the evolving nature of teaching and learning and reinforce the librarian’s role in the curriculum.
- Anticipate and plan for hosting and curating events, managing shared resources, and pursuing proactive campus outreach that supports the expansive academic mission of the 21st century library. While these suggestions are broadly applicable, the responses determine the singular programmatic mix for any specific institution. Recent E-Studio library programs include:
Harold C. Smith Learning Commons, Springfield University
- Campus community engagement was central to creating the Learning Commons program.
- 57,000 GSF
Mack Library, Bob Jones University
- Down-sizing a library is a particularly challenging programming charge. ICON worked with the administration and library stakeholders to find a balanced solution.
- 38,000 GSF
University Library, Roger Williams University
- Programming the University Library included planning for incorporating library partners and reorganizing the library in phased renovations.
- 54,000 GSF
E-Studio Principal Ned Collier’s library programming experience with prior offices includes:
- ABS Information Commons, Massachusetts Maritime Academy
- Mullins Library, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
- Timken Science Library, College of Wooster
- National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health
- Frank and Laura Lewis Library, LaGrange College
- Waidner-Spahr Library, Dickinson College
- Milas Hall Library, Olin College of Engineering
- Innovative Learning Resource Center and Price-Gilbert Library, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Learning and Resource Center, Red Rocks Community College
Academic Space Programming
Library Space Programming
Hybrid Space Programming
Programming for Contemporary Pedagogies
Integrated Instructional Technologies